Extradition waived; Chavers to return to city

Published 7:35 pm Wednesday, November 15, 2006

By By Lisa Tindell – news writer
Larry Richard &#8220Ritchie” Chavers took one flight he planned followed quickly by a second he did not have in his schedule.
On the day of his sentencing on sexual abuse and sodomy charges, Chavers found himself once again in custody by law enforcement officials following a series of events that ended with his arrest in Miami, Fla.
Chavers had planned the trip to Miami where he boarded a plane bound for Mexico City, officials said. His trip was interrupted and his itinerary took a drastic change from his original plan.
The trip was said to have begun on Wednesday, according to reports from officials after questioning the mother of the now-10-year old girl he is accused of sexually assaulting.
The mother of the child, who married Chavers in a Houston County ceremony on Wednesday, said that Chavers had packed his belongs and left on Wednesday. At the time of questioning, she indicated she did not know his whereabouts. It was determined that the couple were married in Dothan the day before his scheduled sentencing and the day of his apparent flight.
Possible charges surrounding the apparent flight attempt by Chavers are pending, however that information was not confirmed as of press time on Tuesday evening.
Under current guidelines, officials have up to 10 days to take over the custody of a person who is being extradited.
Chavers was released on $40,000 following the conclusion of his two-day trial in Escambia County courts. When he failed to show for the sentencing, Judge Joseph Brogden issued a warrant for his arrest.
Chavers is scheduled to enter prison on a 31-year sentence that came at the end of a trial that found him guilty of first-degree sodomy and first-degree sexual abuse. A 21-year sentence was imposed on the sodomy charge and a 10-year sentence set for the sexual abuse charge. The two sentences will be served consecutively according to officials.

Email newsletter signup