Warhawks first back-to-back wins together; streak ends at Bishop State

Published 4:28 am Wednesday, January 24, 2007

It took the Jefferson Davis Community College Warhawks 15 games to put together their first back-to-back wins of the season.
It will take them a while longer to get their first three-game winning streak after they were bounced 68-46 by the Bishop State Wildcats at Mobile Monday.
JDCC (2-4 in the Alabama Community College Conference and 4-12 overall) fell behind 33-25 at halftime, but stayed within striking distance most of the second half.
The Warhawks trailed just 52-46 with two minutes left when Bishop State (2-2 in the ACCC and 8-8 overall) scored 10 points in a wild 10-second span.
First, JDCC was whistled for an intentional foul that led to two Bishop State free throws and a quick bucket on the possession. The Warhawks turned the ball over and Bishop State converted it into a breakaway layup. To make matters worse, another intentional foul was called on the made shot. Bishop State hit two more free throws and scored on the inbounds play. Just like that the Wildcats' lead had grown to 62-46. Bishop State later added six more points to what turned out to be a 16-0 run to end the game.
No individual scoring details were available at press time.
The Warhawks return home Saturday for an ACCC south division clash against Faulkner State. Game time is 7 p.m.
At Bishop State
JDCC 25 21 – 46
Bishop State 33 35 – 68
Warhawks top WS-Selma
JDCC won back-to-back games for the first time this season and avenged an earlier loss to the Wallace State-Selma Patriots at the same time with their 68-58 win at Brewton Saturday.
The Warhawks, who lost 89-79 to the Patriots at Selma one week earlier, led from start to finish.
JDCC used a pair of field goals from DaWaun Johnson, who scored a game-high 25 points, and Donald Smith in the first 10 minutes to build a 16-8 advantage.
Johnson had a pair of field goals and two free throws, while Smith buried a three-pointer over the next 10 minutes, as the teams traded points and JDCC maintained a seven-point lead of 33-25 at halftime.
Maurice Edmonson, who scored 10 of his 13 points in the second half, started to break loose over the first 10 minutes of the second half. Edmonson connected on three field goals and a free throw during that span that kept the Warhawks even though Wallace State-Selma trimmed a point off the lead to 47-40.
The Patriots trimmed that lead all the way to just 58-54 with 1:50 left on an offensive rebound bucket by Phillip Johnson. The Warhawks got a huge bucket by Tim Rodgers on a drive to the basket and two free throws by Johnson, who had 11 points in the last 10 minutes, that helped seal the deal.
That late basket by Rodgers
and the two free throws by Johnson gave us back some momentum.”
WS-Selma 25 33 - 58
JDCC 33 35 - 68
WALLACE STATE-SELMA (2FG-3FG-FT-TP) Hudson 1-3-0-11; Thomas 2-1-3-10; Allen 3-0-3-9; Williams 3-0-0-6; Harns 1-0-3-5; Carpenter 0-1-0-3; Murary 1-0-0-2; Sewell 1-0-0-2; Frazier 1-0-0-2; Johnson 1-0-0-2; Delaine 1-0-0-2; Ar. Smith 1-0-0-2; Al. Smith 0-0-2-2 (Totals: 16-5-11-58)
JDCC (2FG-3FG-FT-TP) Johnson 7-1-8-25; Edmonson 5-0-3-13; Smith 2-2-2-12; McKinney 2-1-0-7; Owens 2-0-0-4; Rodgers 1-0-0-2; Griffin 1-0-0-2; Butler 0-0-1-1 (Totals: 20-4-16-68)

Email newsletter signup