Court gives OK to demolish house
Published 1:45 pm Wednesday, April 11, 2007
By By Lisa Tindell – news writer
The Town of East Brewton went to court Tuesday over the demolition of a Harold Street house.
The new owner of the house at 204 Harold St. had received a temporary restraining order against the demolition, but a federal judge removed the order and has ruled the demolition can proceed, Mayor Terry Clark said Tuesday afternoon.
A group of Harold Street residents were on hand Monday at the East Brewton City Council meeting to discuss their concerns about the house.
In the motion, McIntosh used claims of discrimination and poor relations with community members to ask for the injunction.
Clark said the statements in the motion made by McIntosh did not help in his efforts to keep the house from being torn down.
Over the course of the last few months, the council has heard from a number of residents in the Harold Street area asking that something be done about the condition and appearance of the house. The council voted to proceed with demolition of the house in a March meeting giving the owner an opportunity to make provisions for the removal of the building. The deadline for owner removal of the building was Monday.
With the suggestion that McIntosh was being discriminated against by residents in the area, those present at the meeting expressed surprise.
Others in the group agreed with Williamson.
Clark said he certainly understood the concern of the residents in the neighborhood.
Clark said McIntosh had commented that he was not aware that the house had been condemned at the time he made the purchase.
In other business Monday, the council: