Twice burned

Published 2:33 pm Wednesday, April 18, 2007

By By Lisa Tindell – news writer
A quiet Tuesday morning turned into a day filled with fire, smoke and sorrow, as a home at 2295 White St. was lost to a blaze.
The Ridge Road Volunteer Fire Department and East Brewton Fire Department personnel worked for more than two hours to put out a fire that claimed the home of John and Joann White who live in the Springhill Community.
Joey Shell, fire chief for East Brewton Fire Department, said the home was pretty much lost.
The fire, which Shell said took about 30 minutes to get under control initially, blazed up again just after 10:30 a.m. Tuesday, with both departments making a return visit to the White Street home.
One person with the Ridge Road Volunteer Fire Department said the wind was causing the departments to have a little trouble fighting the blaze.
White, along with his wife, has three children living with them in the home.
White, who works as a security guard at T.R. Miller Mill Company said he doesn't know what needs are at this point.
The American Red Cross had made contact with the family prior to the second blaze-up at the home and was in the process of making arrangements for a place for the family to stay.
White said no actual cause of the blaze has been discussed, but suggested a faulty electrical outlet could have been a problem.
White said the room where the fire was first noticed contained computers and video game equipment used by his children.
White said he was thankful for the help from the fire departments and The Red Cross and was confident his family would be alright.

Email newsletter signup