Fire destroys local residence

Published 6:35 pm Monday, May 21, 2007

By By Lisa Tindell – news reporter
A Blueberry Hill resident is searching for a new home after he lost his mobile home to fire on Thursday morning.
Just after 7 a.m. Thursday, Johnny Ammons woke to find his mobile home filled with smoke and flames. Fire officials said the fire most likely started in the kitchen area of the home, possibly near the stove.
Ammons, who was the only person in the residence at the time of the fire, was not injured in the incident. Two of his nieces live with him at the home at Blueberry Hill Trailer Park on U.S. 31 just north of Brewton.
The Appleton Volunteer Fire Department and the Brewton Fire Department responded to the blaze that completely destroyed the dwelling.
Martin said the Red Cross provided urgent needs of personal items to the family at the scene of the fire.
Martin said Ammons is actively searching for a more permanent place for the family to make their home, however Red Cross does not aid in that search.
After the initial fire was extinguished and fire personnel had left the scene, a second call was dispatched for a fire at the same location.
Appleton Volunteer Fire Department personnel arrived back at the scene to find that a tree adjacent to the home had caught fire and was fully engulfed upon their return. The fire was extinguished without incident.
With dry conditions the area is experiencing, fires may become a more common occurrence according to the Alabama Forestry Commission.
A statewide fire alert was issued by the Alabama Forestry Commission on Friday and will remain in effect until enough rain is received to eliminate the problem.
According to officials with the Forestry Commission, conditions in Alabama are extreme and the potential for a fire to get out of hand is high.

Email newsletter signup