Jags beat TRM again

Published 12:34 am Wednesday, January 16, 2008

By By Adam Robinson – sports editor
Just like in the last game between the Hillcrest High School Jaguars and the T.R. Miller Tigers in Evergreen, the Tigers had their chances to win the game in the fourth quarter, but a few things here and there led to a 62-56 win for the Jaguars.
In Friday night's game, the two teams met again - this time in Brewton, as the Tigers had the same opportunity but failed to capitalize as they lost 70-55 dropping their record to 9-5 overall and 1-2 in area play.
Terry Hetherington led the Tigers with 27 points in the loss.
Things did not start out good for the Tigers in Friday's contest as Hillcrest raced out to an early 7-0 lead with 4:14 left in the opening quarter of play.
T.R. Miller quickly got back in the game as Hetherington connected for a two-pointer for the Tigers and added a free throw to get the Tigers back in the game at 7-3.
The Tigers continued to fight back as they cut the lead to 7-6 with 2:56 after Justin Payne's 3-pointer as the Tigers trailed 12-8 at the end of the first quarter of play.
After cutting the Jaguar's lead to four points in the first quarter, Hillcrest extended their lead to six, eight, and 10 points in the second quarter before the Tigers trimmed the lead to four points with 1:11 left after another Payne 3-pointer cut the lead to 27-23.
The Tigers looked in good shape heading into the halftime break, but a Hillcrest two-pointer with 1.6 seconds left and a made free throw gave the Jags a 30-23 lead at the half.
In the third quarter of play, the Tigers fought back hard cutting the Jaguar lead from seven points down to five, four, two, and then one point before tying the game and then taking the lead, their first of the game, at the 3:06 mark when Jordan Knight hit one of two free throws to give the Tigers a 37-36 lead.
The lead was short lived as Hillcrest outscored Miller 6-2 to end the quarter with a 42-39 lead heading into the fourth quarter of play.
The Tigers again tied the game at the 6:57 mark of the fourth quarter at 44-44, but Hillcrest went on a 6-0 run to take a 50-44 lead with 5:49 left in the game.
The Tigers cut the lead to 52-50 with 3:50 left in the fourth quarter, but was outscored from then on 18-5 as Hillcrest held a 28-16 scoring advantage in the fourth to take the win, 70-55.
The Tigers were looking to get back in the win column on Tuesday when they traveled to Andalusia to take on the Bulldogs in another key area game. The Tigers will be back in action on Friday when they travel to East Brewton to take on rival W.S. Neal in an area game between the two teams. Game time is scheduled to for 4:30 with the B team game. Girls and varsity team action will follow.

Email newsletter signup