JDCC still winless

Published 3:43 am Monday, February 2, 2009

By By Adam Robinson – Sports Editor
An 11-2 run to end the first half after having a one-point lead, and a 13-2 run to end the second half which included a 20-6 run over the final eight minutes left to play in the game:
Those are the stats that went against the Jefferson Davis Community College Warhawk basketball team Thursday night at home against Bishop State as the Wildcats defeated the Warhawks 70-48 to drop JDCC to 0-17 overall and to 0-7 in conference play.
JDCC trailed by eight points after the first half after being down 34-26. In the second half, JDCC was outscored by 14 points, 36-22 to fall by 22.
Tysean Thompson and Justin Burroughs led JDCC with 13 points each in the loss. DeAngelo Kirkland followed with seven points and Jonathan Pascley and Will Dupont both had four points each in the loss.
Brandon Howard chipped in three points and TaCory Marshall had two points along with Fred Underwood who had two points.
In the game Thursday night in Brewton, the first 8:30 of the game was a back-and-forth battle until the 11:33 mark when JDCC held a 14-10 lead after a 3-pointer from Howard.
After taking the four-point lead at 14-10, Bishop State went on a 6-0 run to claim a 16-14 lead at the 8:50 mark of the first half.
From there, JDCC closed the gap and held a 24-23 lead with 2:40 left to play.
Holding a one-point lead, the Warhawks fell to an 11-0 run for Bishop State to fall don by 10 points at 34-24 with 35 seconds left to play before the half.
Dupont ended the Wildcat run with a bucket for the Warhawks with 1.2 seconds left to trail 34-26 at the half.
In the second half, the Warhawks came out firing as they went on a 7-0 run to cut the lead to 38-33 with 17:36 left in the half.
After cutting the lead to four points at 42-38 with 13:46 to play, a 6-0 run from Bishop gave the Wildcats a 48-38 with 11:51 left to play.
The four points would be as close as the Warhawks would get in the second half as a 7-0 run for Bishop gave them a 57-44 lead with 4:50 left to play.
In the final 7:57 of the game, JDCC was forced to foul to get into a 1-and-1 as Bishop used a 13-0 run and outscored JDCC 20-6 in the final 7:57 to claim the win.
Bishop was 7-of-10 from the free throw line in the final three minutes and was 10-of-15 for the entire game while JDCC was 6-of-7.
The Warhawks were set to be back in action on Saturday at home against Chattahoochee Valley and will be back in action on Monday, Feb. 2 when they travel to Alabama Southern.
The Warhawks will be back in action on Saturday, Feb. 14 at home against Southern Union. Game time is set for 3 p.m.

Email newsletter signup