‘Normal’ hurricane season still means be prepared

Published 4:43 pm Monday, June 8, 2009

By By Lydia Grimes
features writer

Experts are predicting a “normal” hurricane season, but local emergency officials say that does not preclude taking the essential precautions.
Meteorologist Jeffrey Medlin with the NWS in Mobile said this year’s hurricane season is predicted to have 11 named hurricanes, two being major hurricanes and six other hurricanes. 
Medlin said even with a “normal” season prediction, it is essential to be prepared.
The upcoming 2009 season, which runs from June through November, calls for a 50 percent probability of a near-normal season, a 25 percent probability of an above-normal season and a 25 percent probability of a below-normal season. Forecasters say there is a 70 percent chance of having nine to 14 named storms, and four to seven becoming hurricanes, including one to three major hurricanes of category 3, 4 or 5.
Adams said emergency teams have been preparing themselves for a storm.
Adams said that complacence is a big fear. When people go all out to prepare for a hurricane and then it decides to go elsewhere, they get lax with the things they do for the next storm.
MaryClaire Foster contributed to this report.

Email newsletter signup