W.S. Neal MS football Eagles hold off Monroe County

Published 5:15 am Wednesday, September 30, 2009

By By Adam Robinson
sports editor

Trevor Burns scored three touchdowns for the W.S. Neal Middle School Eagle football team Thursday night at home and Brandon Carmichael had two interceptions as the Eagles picked up their firs win of the season against Monroe County 28-24.
The win improved W.S. Neal to 1-1 this season.
Burns had 18 carries for 83 yards in the win and Travon Reed added one touchdown and 85 yards on 14 carries to help aid in the win.
Trailing 22-20 in the fourth quarter, Burns scored from two yards out to give W.S. Neal a 26-22 lead and later added the two-point conversion to put the Eagles on top 28-22 with 5:21 left in the game.
With Monroe County driving to try and tie the score, Carmichael picked off a Tiger pass at the 26-yard line to give W.S. Neal the ball with 1:29 left in the game.
Facing a fourth down on their own 14-yard line, Burns ran the ball out the back of the end zone for an Eagle safety with 27 seconds left in the game to cut the lead to 28-24.
After Monroe County took the ball to the 16-yard line with 23 seconds left, Carmichael picked off his second pass of the night to help seal the win for the Eagles.
W.S. Neal racked up 236 total yards in the game with 192 on the ground and 44 in the air with 14 first downs.
Monroe County had 22 points in the first half but were held to only the points off the safety while W.S. Neal scored 16 points after trailing 22-12 at the half.
Monroe County had 216 yards of offense, with only 48 coming in the second half.
Monroe County got on the board first with a one-play 77-yard touchdown run to take an 8-0 lead.
Burns cut the lead to 8-6 with a 2-yard touchdown run, but Monroe County ran the kickoff back 98 yards to take a 16-6 lead at the end of the first quarter.
Reed then scored for the Eagles from 11-yards out to cut the lead to 16-12, but Monroe County would take a 22-12 lead right before the half after a 16-yard touchdown.
Burns the cut the lead to 22-20 at the end of the third quarter and gave the Eagles the lead in the fourth quarter with about five minutes left to go in the game.