Parade around corner
Published 9:13 am Monday, November 9, 2009
By By Lisa Tindell
The streets of East Brewton and Brewton will be filled with the sounds and sights of Christmas in just a matter of a few weeks with the annual Christmas parade.
Judy Crane, executive director for the Greater Brewton Area Chamber of Commerce, said churches, civic organizations and clubs are invited to participate in the parade set for Dec. 12.
Crane said the annual event is the highlight of the season and is attended by thousands throughout the community.
Deadline for registration of floats or marching units participating in the parade is Nov. 13. Criteria to be allowed to participate in the parade include:
* Each entry must be decorated in accordance with the theme of the parade and must be appropriate for children.
* Each entry is allowed one additional vehicle with the float.
* Candy must be thrown away from floats and onto the sidewalk for safety reasons.
* A float can be towed or put on a flat bed truck.
* The Chamber will have the only Santa in the parade.
* Each entry must register with the Chamber before entering the parade.
* A release form must be signed before an entry is allowed in the parade.
Crane said those floats participating in the parade will also have an opportunity to take home a cash prize.
The parade will follow the same route as in recent years beginning at the intersection of Shoffner Street and Forrest Avenue in East Brewton. The parade route will follow Forrest Avenue across Murder Creek Bridge to Mildred Street. Once the parade units cross the railroad tracks it will turn onto St. Joseph Street and on to Belleville Avenue where it will disband on side streets from McLellan to Grandberry.
The parade will begin at 2 p.m. with lineup of floats and other units beginning at 10 a.m. along Shoffner Street in East Brewton.
For additional information or to obtain a registration form, contact the Chamber office at 867-3224.