G is for cookie|Girl Scouts begin annual sweet sales
By By Lydia Grimes
Girl Scouts in the Brewton and Flomaton Flomaton area sold 19,000 boxes of cookies last year — and they are aiming to sell even more in 2010.
The annual Girl Scout cookie sale is under way and will continue until March 14.
Girl Scout cookies have been around for 93 years, and have become a symbol of self-esteem for the girls who undertake their sale. Proceeds help the girls raise money for activities such as horseback riding — this year’s goal — but they also help teach the girls valuable lessons, Girl Scout leaders said.
Service Unit Manager Shellie Carden said the girls work hard during the cookie sale.
The annual cookie sale helps girls develop important leadership skills that they will use for the rest of their lives. It also helps to give them the self-esteem that will follow them into whatever profession they decide, Girl Scout officials said.
Through the Girl Scout Cookie Program, girls learn to manage money, set goals and develop marketing skills. In fact, the girls learn to run a business. Each group sets its own goals and follows them into a plan leading to those goals. Girl Scouts use the money raised to fund a special project or to plan a trip.
Proceeds from the sale of cookies will go to support programs for girls and training for volunteers across the area. The cookie flavors include Thin Mints, Samoas, Dulce de Leche, Do-Si-Dos, Tagalongs, Trefoils Lemon Chalet Cremes and Thank U Berry Munch. Each box sells for $3.50, and the proceeds from the sales will be used by the troop that sells them.
This year the Girl Scouts are asking the public to share a “gift of caring,” that will be delivered to the Girl Scouts and donated to local senior citizen centers, women’s and children’s shelters, food banks, family crisis and abuse centers, and other charity organizations. They will also be accepting donations of cookies to send to servicemen and women who are serving in the military overseas.
Girl Scout recipes
Samoas Trail Mix
Girl Scout Cookies,
1. Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl.
2. Spoon into individual sandwich size zip lock bags. Tightly seal each bag.
Dulce de Leche/Chocolate Delight
Girl Scout Cookies
1. Break cookies into pieces.
2. Lightly spray nonstick cooking spray into cups.
3. Melt butter. Stir in semi-sweet chocolate until smooth.
4. In a bowl, whisk together melted chocolate mix with sweetened condensed milk.
5. Spoon a thin layer of chocolate into bottom of cup.
6. Place a layer of broken cookies over layer of chocolate.
7. Spoon another layer of chocolate mix over the cookies
8. Place another layer of cookies over layer of chocolate.
9. Spoon another layer of chocolate mix over the cookies.
10. Repeat process in each cup, then freeze until frozen solid (approx. 2 hrs.)
11. Once frozen, gently tear off cups from dessert.