Businesses collect for fire victims
By by Adam Prestridge
Atmore area businesses have been collecting supplies for a family that lost a 4-year-old boy in a house fire last week.
The community was in shock following the death of Dylan Barnhill.
Lowery said that she was unaware that the Barnhills’ home, located at 214 6th Ave., was on fire until rescue personnel began arriving on the scene. “I never saw any flames,” she said. “The smoke was just really billowing up and it was real smoky outside when I first noticed it.”
According to reports, Dylan’s mother, Jessica Barnhill, was able to get another child, Fredrick, 3, out of the house uninjured, but was unable to get Dylan out. According to neighbors, Jessica told them that she could hear the 4-year-old screaming for her, but could not locate him. A third child, Teressa, 5, was in school at Huxford Elementary School at the time of the fire.
The fire broke out just before 10:30 a.m. completely engulfing the home. Fire personnel were able to locate Dylan inside the home and pull him from the fire, rushing him across the front yard to waiting EMS officials. Paramedics with Atmore Ambulance transferred the child to Atmore Community Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
State Fire Marshal Ed Paulk, who was on the scene the afternoon of the fire and Thursday, said the initial investigation indicates that the fire began in the kitchen.
Personnel with Atmore Fire Department were the first on the scene and were assisted by the Poarch Fire Department and Atmore Police Department.
Lowery said she is proud to live in a close-knit community like Atmore with residents who have rallied around the Barnhill family in their time of need.
Several businesses in town have set up collections sites for clothing and other necessities the family is in need of after losing everything they owned in the fire.
For information about donating to the family, visit the Atmore Red Cross office at 205 E. Church St. or call Hackman at 368-3643, during morning hours. A drop-off point for clothing, household items and other necessities has also been established at Coley Petals and Parties, 301 N. Main St, during weekdays.